with Baba Mim....
Check out my other websites too:
Not Retired From Learning! http://www.notretiredfromlearning.com
Bizic Education Enterprises.
"The Power of Three"--> www.mimbizic.com
And the Moon Township Historical Society website:
“Riding in the chariot of the virtues, Elijah was lifted up to heaven, high above earthly things. Reflect, my soul, upon his ascent.”
We have reached the threshold of a significant and historic milestone in the growth and development of the St. Elijah Church in Aliquippa. God’s providence (and Good Fortune) have guided and led us to a point where we now observe the 75th anniversary of our humble origin on Hopewell Avenue in 1914. In tandem with that event we are also celebrating our cherished and venerated Slava-Sveti Ilija. As we survey our past, we note with no small awe and wonder, the tremendous strides and progress we have made over three quarters of a century.
(Lazo Maravich, far right in the photo, has since passed on. How lucky we are to have his stories!)
With a generous “Thank You” to our persevering and industrious pioneers, we inherited a “Blueprint” that gave our parish a firm foundation, a sense of direction, solidarity and a “roadmap” for the years ahead. They made these continuing sacrifices that today allow us to enjoy the convenience, comfort and beauty of a House of Worship and a Community Center-second to none. In the process, those same veterans clung tenaciously to their Serbian Orthodox religion, drew strength from their church, and maintained their Serbian identity with pride and dignity.
Today as we reflect on our fortunate circumstances, and our many blessings, we recognize that our primary concern is to muster all of our human resources, define their mission, and challenge them to their fullest. To do less will make meaningless all we have achieved to date. This indeed will require renewed dedication, total commitment, and strong leadership. We hope these elements can come together in generous quantities and with equal proportions of wisdom, good judgment and understanding.
To date, we have expended our energies, efforts and finances to create a model physical plant, a thriving and active parish, and a solvent operation. This indeed was indication that we were moving forward and laterally and growing materially and economically.
But now, the real proof of our success and growth lies in our ability to move onward and upward-to discharge our spiritual and moral responsibilities with even more purpose and intensity. That is truly our greatest obligation. Everything else is simple by comparison.
To do that, our predecessors have handed us a sacred trust and a three-fold legacy:
To perpetuate our spiritual heritage.
To preserve our shrines and traditions.
To promote our treasured culture.
And in fulfilling the above we shall have demonstrated our gratitude for the past, appreciation for the present and high hopes for the future!
“For, if indeed we find favor in the eyes of the Lord-we shall surely find favor in the eyes of our fellow man.”
With that as our goal and beacon, we can face the “Nineties” with confidence, courage and renewed spirit.
In the late thirties a junior choir was formed and under the direction of Lela Yojkich Mamula was a vibrant addition to our church llife. During the war years, when many of our young men were in the armed services, this junior choir sang the responses for the Liturgy many Sundays. Lela Mamula taught the young people both church music and folk and patriotic music.
In 1932, the choral group, Frushka Gora, was united with the parent social club Svemir, and from this union emerged the St. Elijah Choir.
Professor Boris Dobrovolsky became choir director in 1937, and led the choir to outstanding success and acclaim. That same year the choir joined the serb Singing Federation.
The Sveta Petka Circle of Serbian Sisters (K.C.C.) was organized in 1932, and the original group numbered 60 members. Their noteworthy and generous contributions to the church community set a challenging and inspirational example for subsequent church organizations.
In 1935, the Ambridge K.C.C. Mala Gospojna was organized, and it objectives complemented those of the Sister group in Aliquippa.
In 1936 the church bought a new cemetery site situated along Brodhead Road in Hopewell Township. The area covered approximately 33 acres. The initial investment in the property was $10,000.
The St. Elijah Parish observed its 25th (Silver) Anniversary in 1939. Rev. Strahinja Maletich was pastor at the time, and Peter Bizic served as general chairman.
One of the first priests, Fr. Marijanovich conducted a Serbian School. Sessions were held every Saturday morning in the little schoolhouse located next to our church on Hopewell Avenue. The youngsters learned to read the epistle in the Church Slavonic chant; to read and write the Cyrillic alphabet and performed in many dramas for church celebrations. The Junior and Senior Choirs also held their first rehearsals in the school. A Sokol organization was also formed by the late Pero Medakovich and the instructor was the late Professor Popovich. The Sokols performed at many tri-state patriotic celebrations.
Between 1945 and 1948, the picnic grounds adjacent to the cemetery were purchased. The pavilion on the picnic grounds was built in 1948.
In 1946, the church administration had the foresight to buy the 7 lots that today (1988) comprise the site of our present church. Five more lots were purchased in 1954, at a cost of $12,000.
George Voinovich, Architect (Father of our U.S. Senator, George Voinovich)
Acting on Fr. V. Tomich’s recommendations, the Uprava chose the Serbian Byzantine style of the church of the Zica Diocese for the new structure. The edifice was to be ninety-five feet long and thirty-nine feet wide. The plans received the official approval of the former late Rt. Rev. Bishop Dionisije. In early 1953, George Voinovich of Cleveland was selected as the architect for the new church.
The groundbreaking was held on May 30, 1954. Cook-Anderson Co. of Beaver, whose bid amounted to $263,538, was chosen as the general contractor. Construction began on June 7, 1954 and on August 8, the St. Elijah Church observed its 40th Anniversary. The consecration of the cornerstone was performed on October 17, 1954, with Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Pesut as the Kumovi. Alexander Dzigurski, academic painter of New York was retained as the church artist for the Iconostas and the church interior. The parish residence was completed in 1956.
That same year the church Uprava (Board) borrowed $110,000 from the Union National Bank of Pittsburgh to help pay for construction costs, with a mortgage set for fifteen years.
Sunday, August 3, 1958, the Mortgage Burning of the St. Elijah Serbian eastern Orthodox Church was held with traditional vesper services and programs. Nicholas and Midred Pesut were Kumovi for the third time. In two short years, a zealous, tireless, and enthusiastic parish had erased a debt of $110,000!
On July 13, 1963, the V. Rev. Stevan Lastavica became the first Serbian Orthodox bishop to be consecrated in America. He thus became the head of the newly organized Eastern American and Canadian Diocese of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Upon his death in 1966, the funeral services were conducted in our St. Elijah Church, and interment took place in the St. Elijah Cemetery.
In 1963, the church observed its Golden Anniversary on August 1 and 2, with Bishop Stefan officiating and Dan Koslin serving as general chairman.
A testimonial banquet was held on Sunday, October 20, 1968, honoring V. Rev. Vlastimir Tomich for almost twenty years of continuous spiritual guidance and community leadership of the parish.
Again in 1969, the idea for a cultural center was renewed. Fr. Tomich and Steve Kavic made strong and urgent appeals for prompt action. In 1970, Fr. Srboljub Bulich arrived on the scene, and serious general meetings were again convened. Steven Kavic was then church president and Dewey Vanich was elected chairman of the General Planning Committee.
The groundbreaking for the cultural center was observed with a two-day program on May 29 and 30, 1971. Kumovi for the groundbreaking were the Ralich Brothers: George, Dan and Nick. Steven Kavic was made general chairman of the Building Committee, and upon his passing, was succeeded by Dewey Vanich. John Tomich was the architect for the building, and Vlastimir Djordjevich retained as engineer.
On July 4, 1972, the center cornerstone was laid. On Sunday, September 23, 1973, the dedication of the center was held in the new center auditorium. Kumovi for both occasions were the Ralich Brothers. Father Stevan Stepanov became pastor of St. Elijah in January, 1973, and served during the dedication exercises. A milestone had been reached in the creative, constructive, and progressive lives of the parish.
Payments of the Center debt were reduced dramatically both in amounts and frequency. The Bazaar Committee, led by John Musolin, Nick Pesut and Rudy Tatalovich made regular, uninterrupted and substantial deposits.
A junior choir was assembled and held its first practice session in February 1973.
On April 17, 1973, the K.C.C. Choir was organized by Fr. Stepanov. This group has performed faithfully and commendably for both church services and secular events. On May 29, 1979 this choir was able to cut a record of Serbian religious and patriotic songs. This was the first recording of its kind in the Serbian Orthodox Church.
Periodically new changes, additions and materials were obtained to improve the physical church and its facilities. New icons were purchased and altar items were gold-plated and refinished. New sound systems were added to both the center and the church proper. New church bells were installed in memory of a great benefactor, the late Eli Bulat. As a token of his appreciation for parish kindnesses, he bequeathed a sum of well over $10,000 to the St. Elijah Church.
In 1975, Fr. Stepanov, assisted by Randy Obsenica established an extensive audio-visual library with contributions made by the church and its parishioners. Today, these materials include: slides of the Divine Liturgy; slides of Serbian monasteries showing internal frescoes and relics; twenty-three volumes of Bible movies and film strips; historical movies and slides covering yearly events of the St. Elijah Parish; film strips and cassettes on church and Bible history; slides of the Holy Land; slides showing Mt. Athos and Hilandar, and slides revealing the concentration camp at Jasenovac. The approximate value of these education aides exceeds $20,000.
Women were first permitted to join the church as voting members in 1976. Dorothy Reback, as secretary, became the first woman elected to the Executive Board, followed by Patricia Cekoric as financial secretary in 1978. After Nick Radakovich resigned due to illness in 1979, Mary Poola became the treasurer. Mildred Kosanovich became the financial secretary in 1980. The first women to serve as members of the Auditing Board were Kata Crevar, Kata Grkovich, Milica Milanovich and Seja Mabee. In 1978, an annual Summer Day Camp was established for vacationing church-school children.
His Grace, Bishop Christopher, was consecrated and enthroned as Bishop of Eastern America and Canada in the St. Elijah Church on August 13, 1978. Bishop Christopher succeeded Bishop Sava, who left for Yugoslavia to become Bishop of the Diocese of Sumadija.
October 4 and 5, 1980, marked the Golden Anniversary of the St. Elijah Church Choir. For the St. Elijah Choir, this anniversary marked fifty years of unfaltering loyalty, dedication, and devotion to the spiritual and liturgical values and meaning of Serbian Orthodoxy.
As a matter of information, on January 4, 1972, a Mortgage Settlement Document was signed between the Ambridge Saings and Loan Association and the St. Elijah Church in the amount of $715,376. Nine years later, that contract was fulfilled and the St. Elijah Parish had completed another monumental and remarkable milestone in his history. The Serbian Center Mortgage Burning of 1981 was really a “glowing” event.
In February 1982 Father Stepanov issued a call for male singers. Thirty-five members responded and a Male Chorus was organized. A lively “Sing-Along” program, and “Night in Woodlawn” were both fun-filled and enjoyable events. The same year, the K.C.C. Sveta Petka observed its 50th and Golden Anniversary.
The painting of the church interior and major roof repairs were completed in 1984. Additional renovations were added to the parish home in 1985. Total air conditonal was also installed in the church at this time.
Major external improvements and additions were made to the church grounds in the summer of 1986. Seventy-seven plants and luxuriant shrubbery now thrive around the church and parish home. The lawn was reseeded and enriched. Deteriorated concrete walks were replaced b colorful and lasting Omnistone. Volunteer work saved the treasury a considerable sum in maintenance and labor cost.
In 1985 a Cemetery Chapel became the next endeavor of the St. Elijah Parish. The groundbreaking Ceremony and Banquet were held June 1, 1986. Work and fund-raising continued unabated.
On November 23, 1986, a memorial banquet netted $10,000 for the St. Sava Church Project at Vracar. On August 2, 1987, on the occasion of its annual Slava (Sveti Ilija), the Aliquippa Parish was host to the Clergy Choir of Belgrade, Yugoslavia. A significant sum was again contributed to the Vracar campaign.
Finally, the Blessing of the Cornerstone of this newly erected “Resurrection Chapel” was held on Sunday, October 4, 1987. The Charter was officially signed by His grace Bishop Christopher of the Eastern American Diocese, Fr. Stevan, Albin Abramovich, church president and Mrs. Ann Radovich Fagan of Broomall, PA, Kuma for the occasion. The actual contractual value of the chapel reached the tidy sum of $83,000, paid in full. An additional amount of $8,000 accrued to the chapel value from good will efforts, generous free labor and volunteer work.
An abbreviated and compressed history cannot possibly name and credit all the individuals, past and present, who have strived so diligently and industriously in the best interests of their church. The progressive chronicle of the St. Elijah Parish is the result of many years of combined efforts of all the church pastors, presidents, boards, organizations, committees and parishioners who “labored in the vineyards” to create a Christ-loving God-oriented community, the St. Elijah Serbian Orthodox Church Parish. Our sincerest and deepest gratitude is extended to all of them. We await with high hopes and expectations the challenges of the future. To our pioneers and past parishioners we offer: “”Vjecnaja Pamjat” and to the present and future custodians of Serbian Orthodoxy-Good Luck and “Mnogaja Ljeta.” +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
These Mother Club & Kolo ladies work TIRELESSLY for their church. We're all very grateful to them!
"We must never forget our pioneers who came to this continet to seek a better way of life for their families. They remained loyal to their faith and religion in that they created this great parish called St. Elijah. They will be remembered always. May God be merciful to their souls. Rest in peace." (90th Anniv. Booklet)
Here's a fun picture! Stan Simataris or his Dad have documented the history of Aliquippa over the ages. This time we were lucky enough to catch HIM on camera!
How to find us! Use Mapquest here below:
And who is this with his faithful crew? A Lucky Man!
Beautiful St. Elijah Center for Rent!
Did you know that you can rent the St. Elijah Serbian Center for your next party, wedding, or baptism? Perhaps your Work Place needs a place to hold a Retirement, Christmas Party or Fund Raiser! Think of the beautiful stone St. Elijah Center, with plenty of amenities and parking for all of your guests.
If you're a member in good standing of the church, the hall is only $50.00 per hour. If you're not a member, it still is only $100.00 per hour. Since it has been completely remodeled and brought up to date, this is a real bargain. Inquiries are always encouraged! Give Kathy a call: 724-375-9894!
ALL ages do the kolo...young, old, and in between, whether in Milwaukee, Detroit, Monroeville, Steubenville, Merrillville or Aliquippa!
These twins had a wonderful time entertaining everybody at the "Tata" Day picnic! Imagine their father's pride on Tatin Dan, 2008!
Our Cissy Rebich shows her necklace with her Baba and Mom
We're so proud of the fact that George Vuynovich, hero of the book THE FORGOTTEN 500, graduated from Ambridge H.S. and went to St. Elijah. Of course, South Side Pittsburgh is proud of him too, as he was born very close to where the Serbian Club is now! George's wife Mirjana (originally from Belgrade) was very instrumental in making the whole operation happen!
Bobby Marjanovich, translator and interpreter for the Chetniks and OSS mission was also from Aliquippa! Bob was over n Belgrade studying for the priesthood. When the Germans bombed Belgrade and instantly killed 17,000 people, the city was in chaos. Bob was floundering about and by serendipity ran into the Maksimovich Brothers Singers who had been to Aliquippa before. They took Bob with them to General Draza's headquarters where he proved invaluable to them in contacting the Allies.
Here's Dara Marjanovich Tomich. Dara was Bobby's sister, the daughter of the one-time Aliquippa priest, Fr. Hariton Marjanovich. Here's Dorothy's "E" pin!
Photos courtesy of
Melanie (Marjanovich Tomich) & Tim Limrick.
40th Wedding Anniversary of Mr. and Mrs. Phillips of Phillips Coal Co., honored by the Aliquippa and Ambridge KSS ladies.
Thanks to granddaughter, Melanie Tomich Limerick, daughter of the late Dara Marjanovich Tomich and Milan Tomich, for sharing these gems! Melanie's husband, Tim, also helped with the scanning! Thanks, guys!
There was a wonderful tribute to Mildred Radulovich Markovich in the same Nov./Dec. 2011 issue of Serb World written by Milly's sister, my good friend, Nadene Siniard, about Mildred's 100th birthday celebration, pp. 1921. As of this writing (2-13-12), Millie is still going strong, as mentally sharp as always.
Milly and her husband Dragovan (Dan) Markovich, were inseparable from the moment of his arrival in Aliquippa (shortly after 1949) until his death at age 79 in 1993. Also, the two were always among the first to board the buses from Aliquippa to go to Washington, DC to protest against America's illegal siding against the Serbian people of Yugoslavia (Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Macedonia, you name it!) during the recent wars there. On the bus, as always, they were always so happy, always holding hands, and smiling at everyone. Their love for each other was so infectious. What a pleasure it was to be with them.
Milly and Dragovan were St. Elijah Kumovi at the sixty-sixth annual Slava in 1980. She was also Kuma for the KSS, was a member of the Kolo Choir.
Dragovan was active in Jedinstvo Lodge No. 27 and St. George Lodge No. 100. In 1950, he was a delegate to the SNF Convention.....
Having no children of their own, Milly and the late Dan had fourteen nephews and nieces, 33 grand nieces and nephews and a fourth of 9 great grands.
"Ako Bog da" (one of Milly's favorite quotes), Mily will see many more years! Ziveli i Mnogaja Ljeta!
Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 26, 2015
It has been one year since V. Rev. Stav. Milan Krstic and his family moved to lead ourSt. Elijah parish after the retirement of Fr. Stepanov. We are very blessed indeed, to have someone of Fr. Krstic's education and builder background to lead us in the future. He was the contractor and priest responsible for building the new church in Nis, in time for the grand celebration there of the 1700 years of St. Constantine. In 2013 the city was host to the celebration of 1700 years of Constantine's Edict of Milan. (Wikipedia) By that time, Fr. Krstic was serving his parish in Midland, and the whole parish watched the ceremonies on TV!
His former parishioners from Canada and Florida say only the nicest things about him. The above photo shows Fr. Krstic and his family celebrating their St. Michael Archangel Slava a few days ago.
V. Rev. Milan Krstic and some of the youngest ones in our parish, the beautiful Belas-Muha children at the Thanksgiving Program at St. Elijah's on Sunday, November 22, 2015.
We are very lucky that Ivana Stepanov-Taylor shared this photo of her brother and great-grandfather for Veteran's Day, 2015. Marko Stepanov, son of V. Rev. Stav. Stevan Stepanov and Protonica Anna, is with Protonica Anna's famous grandfather, Milan Radosavljevic, a most highly decorated soldier in Serbia.
The Church Slava is the most meaningful and hallowed among the holidays celebrated each year, and Lazo Maravich's gift to his spiritual family was the tale he told in the best of the guslar tradition:
“As custodians of a heritage rich in faith and tradition, we celebrate collectively as testimony to our dedication to our church and Diocese and commitment to Serbian Orthodoxy, and to perpetuate a treasured legacy.”
The campaign ended in a rousing success, construction completed ahead of schedule, and in mid-July, 1914, the church was officially dedicated and consecrated. Seeing the plaque that read “St. Elijah Serbian Eastern Orthodox Church 1914,” the “Gromovnik” (the Thunderer) mounted his chariot, and shouted out blessings for the gathered Serbs to preserve their Orthodox faith, promote their culture, and prize their heritage!
Guslar Lazo continued: “The parish grew to 700 families over the next 25 years, and on November 12, 1939, celebrated its Silver Jubilee, with Peter Bizic, Sr. as Chairman. Notable guests were His Grace Dr. Damaskin-Bishop of the S.E.O. Diocese; Lou Christopher from Gary, IN, editor of the Serb Reflector Magazine, Simo Verlinich, President of the Serb National Federation.”
(Mim's story in Srbobran)
So here we are at 90. We saw, though, that the church was eternally young. The Christian values were unchanged as our people continue to live in Unity, Peace and Love.
Former church Kuma, Bisa Kovacevic, made the Kolach and Koljivo as she does so often. The Kolo Sestra Sestara prepared a wonderful meal for the Vesper Services, and Metro Catering did an outstanding job with the meal on Sunday. So many ladies baked delicious desserts and made hor d’oeuvers, that the tables were over brimming and it was hard to choose from so many beautiful varieties.
Welcoming remarks were made by Past President and Kum, Eli Rebich. Inspirational speeches were given by His Grace, Right Reverend Dr. Mitrophan of the Eastern Serbian Orthodox Diocese, parish priest V. Rev. Fr. Stevan Stepanov and V. Rev. Fr. Rodney Torbich, parish priest of St. George in Carmichaels, PA, but a fine son of St. Elijah’s home parish.
Fr. Stepanov was filled with joy when he said, “For nine decades God has been glorified and praised in our beautiful church where His Gospel was proclaimed, where most of you were baptized, received the Holy Sacraments and where you have been illuminated by the Holy Spirit. Our family is blessed and proud to be a part of St. Elijah Church in Aliquippa for the last thirty-one years, which became our hearts’ true home.”
The Honored Kumovi for the occasion were the VERY deserving Rich and Kathy Chesla, introduced by John Rebich, president of St. Elijah. The loving couple was honored for their active role in the parish. Rich is a tutor along with his father-in-law, the wonderful Dan Menich. He’s also a member of the church board. Kathy is one of the four directors and a soloist in the choir, a member of the KSS, and in 2000 was honored along with her mother Anne as Kolo Kumovi. The Cheslas are highly respected by all for their dedication to the church. We’re so glad they moved back from Cleveland!
Successful lawyer Andy Muha, and students Daniel August and Adam Loverich were ordained as Readers of the church earlier in a special ceremony by Bishop Mitrofan, who found the young men deserving of their recognition due to their unwavering faith and tireless laboring for their church. They received their beautiful awards at the banquet.
Also receiving well-deserved recognition for his $17,000 donation for the beautiful new church candle holders and other things at our church was Dan Ralich, who always comes to the rescue of St. Elijah’s needs. Humble Dan wanted the gift to remain anonymous, but such a grand donation has to be rewarded, and the congregation applauded long and hard for such Herculean efforts. The halos of his deceased parents, Mane and Sophia Ralich, must have had an extra glow as they listened to the applause given to their son. What a wonderful way for a son to perpetuate their memory!
The 2004 graduates were excellent students Maria Hixenbaugh, Samantha Milosh and Christine Muha, all of them receiving scholarships for their academic honors. They were told they were loved not only by their parents and grandparents, but by all of us. They were to use their wings to fly and learn, but to come on home.
Representatives from the church organizations representing the KSS, Choir, Mother’s Club, Cornerstone Men’s Club, Senior Youth Group, and the Youth Group Advisor spoke, One of the best speeches of all was by the very confident and able Bobby Kovachevich, president of the American Serbian Club. It was like the Gromovnik himself was reincarnated as Bobby thundered the good deeds of the pioneers of the American Serbian Club in helping the church in good times and bad. “They built the hall to earn money to build the church!” I was enjoying it so much I didn’t want him to stop.
But the wonderful Sudbina Orchestra, which had entertained the crowd earlier with beautiful melodies, was ready to let those youngsters step in and kolo. Hands united, with love, faith, loyalty and dedication in their hearts, they are the leaders of the next generation of hopefully many more anniversaries to come! United we are stronger.
Healthy, Prosperous and Prayerful Wishes to St. Elijah’s family from her Serb National Federation family across the world!
St. Elijah Junior Choir 2008
Many of the great men above have since passed on. May their memory be eternal!
"How ya' doin' Moe" & Family
Dan, George & Nick Ralich, Kumovi for the Ch. Center
Zora Lodge, 1938, Aliquippa
St. Elijah Noodle Ladies working on noodles to raise money for the Center.
Serbians say: "Ja te Volim!"
Kumovi for St. Elijah Slava
Kum Stevo & son Nikola
Baptism of Olivia
Dr. Mickey Zernich donated $250,000 for the locker room at Pitt's new Petersen Events Center. His name is on the Athletic Walk at Pitt, along with niece Jan Ujevic.
How about a glimpse of St. Elijah history from an even EARLIER source?
History of St. Elijah Church From 1914-1939
25th Anniversary of the St. Elijah Serbian Eastern Orthodox Church, Aliquippa, PA
Written by Rev. S. Maletich
Translated by Ann Milanovich
for the Silver Jubilee Souvenir Program Booklet; Electronically composed by Milana Karlo Bizic, August 12, 2005
• 10:00 AM Liturgy by His grace, Dr. Damaskin, Bishop of the Serbian Eastern Orthodox Diocese in the U.S. and Canada, assisted by Rev. S. Maletich, pastor of our St. Elijah Church and seven visiting pastors from the Tri-state area.
• Responses will be rendered by the St. Elijah Church Choir and the Laza Kostich S.S.S. Singing Society of Midland, PA.
• 1:00 PM Banquet at the Slovak Hall, West Aliquippa, PA; Lord’s Prayer by St. Elijah Choir; Invocation by His Grace, Dr. Damaskin.
• Welcome Address by Rev. S. Maletich; Comments and Introduction of Toastmaster by Mr. Peter Bizic.
• Toastmaster= Mr. Louis Christofer, editor of Reflector Magazine; Address by His Grace Dr. Damaskin, Speaker=Burgess of Aliquippa, Pa, Hon. George Kiefer.
• Selection: Rukovet No. 10 Mokranjac –St. Elijah Choir, Directed by Prof. Boris Dobrovoljski; Speaker=Yugo Slav Royal Consul, Dr. M. Stanojevich.
• Speaker: Sup. Pres. Of the S.N.F., Mr. Simo Vrlinich;
• Speaker=Founder of the St. Elijah Church
• Speaker=V. Rev. J. Krajnovich; Selection by Laza Kostich S.S.S.
• Speaker= V.Rev. M. Shundich, Introductions of the representatives of the various organizations.
• Word of Thanks=Pres. Of St. Elijah Church, Mr. Theodore Lovrich; Selection =St. Elijah Choir.
• 6:00 PM-Zabava, Slovak Hall; Selections by Laza Kostich S.S. S.
• Comments by Rev. S. Maletich;
• Comedy in Three Acts by J.C. Popovich, under the direction of Rev. S. Maletich. Cast- Grof. Trific=Mr. E. Mamula; Sultana, his wife=Miss E. Yoykich; Pesida, maid=Miss M. Smiljanich; Stevan, chauffeur=Mr. M. Adamovich;Sreta, shoemaker=Mr. Spasa Vincich, Pela, his wife=Miss Millicent Milanovich.
• Selection by St. Elijah Choir; Dancing to the music of Djoko Dokich’s orchestra. Refreshments.
Aug. 2-6, 1978, Aliquippa
We're so proud of our Altar Boys at St. Elijah's!
Middle of Easter Lent, 2009
Come be a part of the wonderful church services we have. Everyone is welcome! It's as close to HEAVEN on Earth as you can get!
There was a tremendous article about the Aliquippa Food Festival (October 2-3, 2010) in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review by news reporter Karen Kadilak. Karen's great story also talks about the Serb National Federation (SNF) Bowling Tournament from October 7-10, 2010.
"Everything is made on the premises from scratch," said Loverich, who serves as a food festival organizer. "We've made 2,000 cabbage rolls and will be barbecuing 22 lambs. We plan on serving 1,500 people. Some people will come for lunch, then return for dinner.
"The greatest compliment comes when someone eats something and tells us that it reminds them of something Baba (a Serbian grandmother) made. We hear that quite often."
Read more about the story that appeared in the Thursday, Sept. 30, 2010 issue here: